Diarrhoea can lead to severe courses of disease up to death for all species. Among the diverse diarrhoea pathogens in pocket pets, pets and farm animals, especially Cryptosporidium parvum (C. parvum) and Rotavirus (RV) are a great challenge for the veterinarian due to their common appearance and their zoonotic potential.
Especially in cattle population, Rotavirus is widely spread (seroprevalence up to 100%). Recent studies in Germany with small animals have shown prevalences in dogs and cats of 7% and 8%, respectively.
Cryptosporidia form two types of infectious oocysts: 20% are thin-walled and stay in the host, where they cause reinfection through autoinfection. The remaining 80% are thick-walled and are excreted intermittently, i.e. not with every defecation, as dormancy stages. These are very resistant and can remain infectious for months. They can infect other animals as well as humans via drinking water. Clinical symptoms can vary depending on age and immune status of the animal. Neonates and young animals are predominantly affected.
Caused by the high infectiveness, often a population problem arises. Double infections are not uncommon. Special attention should be paid in the fact that Cryptosporidia as well as Rotavirus play important roles independent of the diarrhoea problem (asymptomatic shedders).
Therefore, FASTest® CRYPTO-ROTA Strip enables the veterinarian to prove both pathogens early, specifically and on-site in pocket pets, pets and farm animals and therefore to introduce specific therapy, hygiene and prevention measures immediately.